[Barrelfish-users] Barrelfish working

Timothy Roscoe troscoe at inf.ethz.ch
Sat Feb 6 14:58:31 CET 2016

Perhaps you could be a bit more specific about what you're trying to
do?

Are you trying to get different threads within a program to
synchronize with each other?   If so, libbarrelfish gives you the
basic thread mutexes and condition variables.   Alternatively, your
favorite shared-memory operations between cores should work as well,
as long as you have correctly spanned the domain (process) across the
cores you want to use.

Are you trying to get differnet programs to synchronize with each
other?  If so, do you want to use shared-memory operations (assuming
you have a single coherence domain on your machine)?   If so, mapping
a shared segment of memory is the way to go: have one program allocate
a physical frame, send a capability to it to the other program, and
then both can implement whatever primitives you would like in there
(e.g. spinlocks, wait-free queues, etc.).

Alternatively, we tend to use messages to communicate between
programs.  This is almost certainly the easiest way to do things.
Within a coherence domain, but between processors, this uses shared
memory under the hood, but is abstracted behind an interface defined
in the Flounder language.  The tutorial technical note shows how to do
this.

 -- Mothy