[Barrelfish-users] Hello World on Barrelfish

Vincent N Colantonio Colantonio at siu.edu
Thu Apr 6 08:24:31 CEST 2017

Hello all,

I am new to Barrelfish and am trying to run the Hello World example at usr/examples/xmpl-hello.

I have Barrelfish installed and can run it through qemo, but when I try to:

include "/sbin/examples/xmpl-hello \"

to the "MODULES_COMMON" variable

of the "symbolic_targets.mk"

located at "/barrelfish/build/x86_64/sbin"

and regenerate the makefile with "../hake/hake.sh -s .. -a x86_64"

and run "make -j 4 X86_64_Basic"

I don't find a compiled "xmpl-hello"

in "barrelfish/build/x86_64/sbin/examples"

and thus appending "module  /x86_64/sbin/examples/xmpl-hello"

to "/barrelfish/hake/menu.lst.x86_64"

and running "make qemu_x86_64"

is giving me three lines of error:

Failed to open file 'x86_64/sbin/examples/xmpl-hello'
Makefile:155: recipe for target 'qemu_x86_64' failed
make: *** [qemu_x86_64] Error 1

with no Barrelfish or Hello World displayed.

Can anyone help me to troubleshoot why running the regenerated makefile would not compile the xmpl-hello? Am I using the correct "symbolic_targets.mk" found at

"/barrelfish/build/x86_64/sbin"?

I'm running the latest version of Barrelfish with on Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64bit.

Thank you for the help!

Best,

Vincent