[Barrelfish-users] armv7,armv8 on QEMU?

Timothy Roscoe troscoe at inf.ethz.ch
Sat Jul 22 01:04:53 CEST 2017

Hi Mark,

[ I'm forwarding this to barrelfish-users at lists.inf.ethz.ch; note that
  email to barrelfish-users-owner at lists.inf.ethz.ch only goes to the
  administrator of the mailing list. ]

As you know, we tend to focus on the ARM FVPs, since they are the best
simulators out there that we've found.  However, there *are* GEM5
targets for both ARMv7-A and ARMv8-A - 'make help-boot' should list
them.

That said, I'm not sure we test GEM5 as part of the current CI tests -
someone else (Simon?) might be able to confirm or deny this.

If gem5_armv7 is failing in Kaluga, it's probably because Kaluga has
incorrect or missing information about where the devices are on the
VersatileExpress board.  We're in the process of improving how device
drivers are started, and as part of that it probably makes sense for
us to add GEM5 regressions to the test harness.

As for Qemu, I'm much less sure about bootloaders.  Qemu does at least
emulate the same platform as GEM5, but both a fairly patchy in their
emulation.

David wrote the more recent standardized bootloader we use for ARM
platforms, and may be able to shed light on what's needed for ARMv7
and/or ARMv8 to boot in Qemu.

David, Simon?

 -- Mothy