[Barrelfish-users] Cross Compiler Support

Grumberg, Daniel daniel.grumberg14 at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Nov 29 10:28:28 CET 2017

Hi all,

Not sure this is the right place to ask this but here we go.

I am trying to build a cross compiling tool-chain for Barrelfish. I am following the instructions on the wiki page, from a clean Ubuntu 16.04 LTS VM (it only contains barrelfish and its dependencies).

I am using the recommended versions of binutils (2.24) and gcc (4.9.2) and the associated patches. However, I get a bunch of errors along the lines of:

libstdc++-v3/include/cr16-elf/bits/ctype_base.h:48: error: '_U' was not declared in this scope

This seems to be due to gcc using the default system headers when compiling libstdc++-v3 which is fair enough since we have not told it not too. The source tree does seem to specify an obvious sysroot (the source tree's usr/ directory does not contain include files), I assumed the system headers to be in the include/ directory of the source tree. As far as I have understood (I am probably wrong) they are meant to be a port of newlib to barrelfish. However even after configuring the build with --with-native-system-header-dir="${BARRELFISH_SOURCE}/include" the error persists. After examining these files they do not implement a newlib style ctype.h and thus do not define the above macros.

Is this a known-issue and is there a known workaround? Are the headers in include/ not a port of newlib in which case the configure option --with-new-lib is not correct? In short what am I doing wrong?

Again, sorry to bother everyone with trivial matters.

- Daniel