[Barrelfish-users] requesting for Help

Timothy Roscoe troscoe at inf.ethz.ch
Tue Mar 6 23:32:47 CET 2018

Dear Ben,

Without details about what OS and versions of compilers, etc. you are
using to boot Barrelfish, it is hard to figure out what the problem
is.

What we can say is that on an up-to-date, vanilla Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit
x86 installation, if you follow the instructions in the README file,
and then run:

 make qemu_x86_64

 - then it should work.  I've just tested it on a relatively fresh
Ubuntu LTS installation and it worked fine - you eventually see a
prompt from 'fish', Barrelfish' fairly rudimentary CLI shell.

It's possible you're triggering a problem which doesn't show up when
building and running in Qemu on Ubuntu but is present on other
distros.  However, we can't tell unless you provide us with more
information on the environment you're using.

FWIW, the version of qemu currently supported is:

  $ qemu-system-x86_64 --version
  QEMU emulator version 2.5.0 (Debian 1:2.5+dfsg-5ubuntu10.24),
  Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Fabrice Bellard

>From the output you are sending, it's fairly clear that Barrelfish is
actually booting, but then hitting an error in the boot driver for the
second core.  Reto is looking into this, but in the meantime if you
stay with a stock Ubuntu 16.04 for building and running qemu, you
should be fine.

Best regards,

 -- Timothy Roscoe