[Barrelfish-users] [Barrelfish] Hagfish kernel image structure and latest version

sebastian.scherbel at fau.de sebastian.scherbel at fau.de
Thu Apr 15 18:08:33 CEST 2021

 Hi,

>The memory map is 17952B, but MEM_MAP_SIZE is 8192.> This is compile-time limit in Hagfish - please report this overflow, it's a bug.
I have stumbled across a limitation in Hagfish. 8192B is not enough on a HPE Apollo 70 with 256 cores and 256 GB RAM and 374 entries of 48B each. I tried to just increase the value, but now I crash somewhere between exiting the UEFI boot services and jumping to my ELFs entrypoint. Without any output.

Do you happen to have an educated guess what the problem could possibly be? I don't have a hardware debugger, unfortunately, which makes it somewhat challenging. And limits me to printk debugging.

>We'd be happy to integrate a patch if you wanted to modify it. I'll do that after i have finished my project.

Regards Sebastian

    Am Freitag, 12. März 2021, 12:08:39 MEZ hat David Cock <david.cock at inf.ethz.ch> Folgendes geschrieben:

Sebastian

It looks like what's going on is as Daniel described.  Hagfish seems to use an API call (get_file_size) that's supported by EDK2, but not by many commercial offerings.  I think it'd almost certainly be possible to update Hagfish such that it doesn't depend on it - something like preallocating a "reasonably-sized" buffer, and if it turns out it wasn't big enough trying again with a larger one.  It's been a few years since I wrote this stuff, but I think you'll get back an EFI_BUFFER_TOO_SMALL if it was too small, and *BufferSize will be filled with the actual size so that you can reallocate the buffer.  We'd be happy to integrate a patch if you wanted to modify it.

David

 On 11/3/21 2:19 pm, Schwyn Daniel wrote:

 _filtered {} _filtered {} _filtered {} _filtered {}#yiv6161093200 p.yiv6161093200MsoNormal, #yiv6161093200 li.yiv6161093200MsoNormal, #yiv6161093200 div.yiv6161093200MsoNormal {margin:0cm;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:sans-serif;}#yiv6161093200 a:link, #yiv6161093200 span.yiv6161093200MsoHyperlink {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv6161093200 p.yiv6161093200msonormal, #yiv6161093200 li.yiv6161093200msonormal, #yiv6161093200 div.yiv6161093200msonormal {margin-right:0cm;margin-left:0cm;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:sans-serif;}#yiv6161093200 p.yiv6161093200msonormal1, #yiv6161093200 li.yiv6161093200msonormal1, #yiv6161093200 div.yiv6161093200msonormal1 {margin:0cm;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:sans-serif;}#yiv6161093200 span.yiv6161093200E-MailFormatvorlage33 {font-family:sans-serif;color:windowtext;}#yiv6161093200 .yiv6161093200MsoChpDefault {font-size:10.0pt;}#yiv6161093200 div.yiv6161093200WordSection1 {}
Hi Sebastian,

David and I are both part of the Barrelfish core team at ETH so our setup is the same😉 We do load Hagfish over PXE but as far as I know always directly with the PXE implementation in EDK2. Hagfish is theoretically designed to be flexible and cover as many EFI based boot environments as possible. In practice it’s only tested on the machines we have. Those are EDK2 based and the PXE implementation in there supports the two MTFTP opcodes we use. It should be possible to either implement support in iPXE or make Hagfish not use the get_file_size e.g. by allocating a large enough buffer and make sure the read_file doesn’t overflow it.

Regards,

Daniel