[Oberon] n-o: Display, CD ..etc.

cglur at onwe.co.za cglur at onwe.co.za
Sun Jun 30 18:02:38 CEST 2002

cangelich at famvid.com wrote:

> I've installed Eth Oberon System 3 Native within a single DOS
> file (loopback?)

Is this DOSbased native oberon Ver 2.3.6 ?
As far as I know the latest 'stable' version.

> On my Compaq Presario with Cirrus Logic video I can do 1024x768 but
> the text is so small on my little 15" monitor I can barely see it.
> At 800x600 some of the toolbar(?) header buttons are offscreen.
> I'm guessing Oberon developers have larger monitors and have
> no problems with 1024x768?

I've installed on a small note-book (Compaq Aero 486, 4Mb ram) and
several pcs, without considering pixel-stuff. Just selecting VGA does it.
Under linux (X) the n-o 'screen overflows' the physical VDU, but can be
moved into focus - annoying, but useful for some tasks. But perhaps
this is an X-setting thing ?

> When I try to look at the system files directory I get zip even after typing in
>  "*.Mod"
> or "*.Text".  In Gadgets using the popup I get files listings but then clicking
> on the ..Search button allows me no way to add search terms.
> Same with Grep from Gadgets.

"zip" is a reserved word in computing.

n-o works with 'tools' and the mouse.  Little need for keystrokes.
Once I 'borrowed' the keyboard for an adjacent project and didn't
notice that it was missing for the next '100 km'.

The first time n-o starts it gives a default tool, in the RHS 'System Track'.
As you progress, you will want to customise this tool for your own liking.
I use different colours and fonts (which also serve as my palette to modify
  colour and fonts of any text, which I chose to modify).

Your 'default tool' should have someting like this:-----------
System.Directory ^
  *.Tool  *.Text  *.Pict  *.Scn.Fnt  *.Graph
  *.Mod  *.Obj  *.Sym  *.Bak  *.Arc
----------------------------------
To see the dir. of *.Mod , do:
1. Select (Right-Mouse) the argument: *.Mod
2. Activate (Mid-mouse) the command: System.Directory ^
   which means list the dir. of the 'selected argument'.

Obviously selecting " * " will specify 'all files' as being the argument.

> In Gadgets using the popup I get files listings but then clicking on the
> ..Search button allows me no way to add search terms.
> Same with Grep from Gadgets.

I'm not sure what you're refering to ?
The search button normally applies to the 'active object' that it belongs to.
eg. if you activate (MidMouse): Edit.Open System.Tool,
you open the 'active object' being a text called System.Tool which knows
how to Store, Grow and Close itself. It also knows how to Search itself;
obviously for a text string - in fact the most recent 'selected' (RightMs)
string.

---------
> When I execute the installed Oberon System 3 native and try to configure
> the CD drive I see a note that I cannot use the ATA IDE driver for the CD
> drive if I am using ATA IDE for the hard drive.

The 'other post' Subject: Native Oberon: Mounting an ISO9660 CDROM
relates to n-o alpha 2001 and not to V2.3.6.
n-o alpha 2001 can mount/read/write several IDEs.
Perhaps V2.3.6 can't ? Pity.

---  Chris Glur.