[Oberon] Re: bug in HTML.Compile

Peter Easthope peter_easthope at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca
Sun Jul 7 04:49:29 CEST 2002

Chris & others,

cg> Since you have invested some labour on using/testing HTML.Tool ,
how about passing on your experience ?

Certainly.

cg> HTML.Compile *  does what ....?

Translates a text to an HTML text.

cg> A sample data (input) file is: .....?

TestHTML.Text

cg> What is TestHTML.Text   ?

Mark it, apply HTML.Compile and you will get a file named
TestHTML.html.  The target file name is the first word in
the file.

In the input, color of text has significance; header information
is in red, links are in blue.  It is explained in TestHTML.* and
also in HTML.Mod.

Attributing semantic significance to color of text is a departure
from the Pascal/Modula/Oberon tradition of associating
semantics with a strictly defined syntax ... but it works.
The Web page cited in the signature of this message was
created this way.

A more general means of creating an HTML text is to specify
the document in TeX or LaTeX and to apply a TeXtoHTML
translator.  I've never tried this and do not know how links
are specified in TeX.  Perhaps another reader can tell us this.
To my knowledge, TeXtoHTML is not yet implemented in
Oberon.

Regards,       Peter E.

Peter Lyall Easthope   48.7693d N, 123.3053d W, 30 m
http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/