[Oberon] Re: file system (Ghost in the Machine)

Antony Tersol tony at appliedsolarenergy.com
Sun Jul 21 21:30:00 CEST 2002

I didn't think Aubrey was being patronizing; however, the statement:

> I expected that anyone who has used PCs for more than a few years
> is familiar with the need(s) to organize groups of files and not
> mix them at random into a single directory.  I see this was an
> error on my part.  I retract the word "patronizing".

seems to indicate a misunderstanding.  My interpretation of Aubrey's
question was that he was attempting to seperate the low-level
organization of the files from the method of access.  If a file system
has one access method that is congruent to the standard PC hierarchical
access, the different underlying structure might allow other, more
powerful and flexible access methods.

> If you do NOT maintain low-level compatibility your OS will never
> gain broad support, will be forgotten, and of no consequence.

PCs also used to restrict names to the 8.3 convention.  Must an
acceptable Oberon OS be forever slave to PC strictures?

> Low level routines should be modular/replaceable when the tides
> of change are upon us.

If only MS maintained such laudable practices.  Are the tides you speak
of those created by the gravitational forces of the moon-sun of MS?

Whatever the filesystem, it serves to "organize groups of files and not
mix them at random" on a physical hard-drive.  The files in a
subdirectory are associated only by virtue of entries in a directory
structure. The MS filesystem is a hierarchical database.  And my
experience with Windows shows me that the existing "Low level access to
the file system imposes" "speed penalties" and "imposes restrictions
further along the way that" "limit options available to application
programmers who want to implement a different type of access not
compatible with" Microsoft "routines".

> "Database" and "power" seldom belong in the same sentence or even
> the same paragraph.

Databases would not enjoy their success if they did not offer
significant benefits to the user.  Relational and object databases are
worthy of consideration as alternatives to the traditional hierarchical
filesystem.  Other structuring methods offer the possibility of unifying
the access to information across the local-machine/network/internet
boundaries.

Rather then a priori deciding on a particular filesystem (or any other
OS component), it might be more beneficial to focus on "needs" and
"wishes".  In other words, instead of saying "I must have a files system
with nestable subdirectories", one might define the ways in which one
wishes to view and access file collections.  Rather then restricting all
users to the lowest common denominator, a different, more powerful file
system might be made capable of accessing legacy systems, while offering
enhanced capabilities in its native structure.  (In other words, one
might choose the "Standard MS View" as one's default, and see nested
folders with files inside, while someone else might choose differently).

BTW, I have over 20 years working with various computer systems (not
just PCs - I assume you are conforming to the convention that PCs refer
to Intel-compatible chipsets with MS OSs).