[Oberon] alternatives for a laptop with 4meg of memory

Lisias Toledo lisias at unforgettable.com
Sat Jul 27 02:38:11 CEST 2002

Ghost in the Machine wrote:

> > Would be very nice using Oberon on it. I didn't that yet because the
> > 486dlc doesn't have a coprocessor, so someone (maybe me) must
> > couple the copro-emulator on Install before I can do that.
>
> Or Oberon shouldn't be compiled to require the co-processor?

I don't know if this is possible. Anyway a integer only programming
enviromnent should be of little use...

It's better hack the Install disk to use the copro emulation.

> Windows v3.1 with the version 3.03 Internet Explorer will do POP
> mail.  I'm using it now.  Not certain it will execute in 4 megs but
> it might?

I remember when I was playing Internet with Win311/Trumpets, Netscape 3
and Eudora on a 8 megabytes machine... It should work with just 4 megs,
but things will be sloowww anyway. Slowish by slowish, at least with
Oberon I will have some fun. 8-)

> Another alternative would be BasicLinux.  It has POP email built
> in and will execute with only 4 meg of memory.
>
> http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~ichi/

muLinux can be of use too, but it is too much slow on 4 mega.

Small Linux is a better (but uglier) choice for 4 megs, but it's based
on libc5, and so I have trouble on some modern programs, like
FreePascal.

http://sunsite.dk/mulinux/
http://www.superant.com/smalllinux/
--
[]s,
(Pink at Manaus.Amazon.Brazil.America.Earth.SolarSystem.OrionArm.MilkyWay.Universe)

Liberdade não é um esforço individual.
A sua só existe se vc garantir a dos outros!

Vapour : The Software's natural state.