[Oberon] install

cglur at onwe.co.za cglur at onwe.co.za
Wed Jul 31 14:16:14 CEST 2002

Patrik Reali wrote:
> You can get a such a list with the command System.ShowModules ,
> which shows the modules loaded in the system (the one you need the
> most will be there). The modules at the bottom of the list are the first
> loaded, so you can traverse from the bottom up.

 Yes System.ShowModules traces the actual modules loaded, which
would presumably show not-yet-loaded modules required.
I guess by purging already loaded modules (as far as possible)
more info would be available ? What's the command: Free ???

> On a first pass, you can limit yourself to study the module interfaces by
> using
>     Watson.ShowDef ^
> and textually selecting the name of the module to display.
> You can go through the source code on a second pass.

Since Watson.ShowDef ^ doesn't show IMPORTs, it's not clear to
me how this would help to map the IMPORT sequence -- or even
the set ?
! Oh, I see that some Watson.ShowDef ^ DOES show (in RED)
IMPORTs.  Not my code. Nor eg. Watson.ShowDef Script.Store ~
What's wrong ?
-----------

File Chapter5.Text shows:
5.2	The Module Hierarchy
Learning to program the Oberon system involves studying the Oberon
module hierarchy.
Figure 5.1	Extract of the Oberon Module Hierarchy ......

Summary of the Oberon Module Hierarchy
Module Name	Purpose
Inner Core
	Kernel	Memory management and garbage collection
	Disk	Disk driver (PC Native only)
	FileDir	File directory support
	Files	File handling
	Modules	Oberon module loader and command execution

Outer Core
	Display	Display driver
	Printer	Printer driver
...<and much more>

BTW after years and thousands of hours of n-o usage the often
problematic aspect of several tutors: not being able to scroll to
the middle of a bigger than screen object (eg. diagram), or even
more annoying not being able to scroll to (for certain) the text
following the diagram; is explained. Apparently because the author(s)
used a higher resolution than VGA.  This gives them more stuff on the
screen.   Also using the FontEditor is very cramped under VGA.

-- Chris Glur.

PS.
Charles.Angelich wrote:
> As an example - W98SE has something like a 50 meg file of just modem
> drivers for it's PNP to work as well as it does.  Does anyone foresee Oberon
> having a 50 meg modem driver addon?  Seems unlikely.

Unlikely, since that's an order of magnitude greater than the whole OS.

> I am disappointed that text runs off the right side of the screen as
> we debate the need to correct the error.

Mail.CutLines <CharCount> *
  will wrap the lines to <CharCount> length, of the 'marked' (F1)
viewer.

Pat Hacker wrote:
> I installed NO 2.3.6 on ...
Here's an example of how complexity lead to chaos:
(and many of these problems are solved in the aviation industry;
one technique is to remove many decisions by reducing them to
formalised rules).
1. Pat Hacker's query appropriately mentions his installed version.
2. contributor A answers without echoing the 'installed version'.
3. contributor B extends A's contribution assuming that Pat Hacker
     is using the latest version.
4. a discussion follows which is irrelevant to Pat Hacker's original
     query.