[Oberon] Beginners only

cglur at onwe.co.za cglur at onwe.co.za
Fri Aug 2 21:24:54 CEST 2002

Yuri M. Skripkah wrote:
>  I think, for user, who not interested in programming as goal,but
>   in rational OS, more significant is abilities ( in future, I hope )
>   to multiprocessing ( try calculate something and play in tetris :)-
>   system 3 is single process?), namespacing and binding - for
>   networked active documents with many users, etc.

I think S3 is single user, multi-tasking ?
Try:
1. Desktops.OpenDoc EmptyDoc ~
2. set caret inside EmptyDoc (ML).
3.  Gadgets.Insert Sisiphus.New ~
4. make SecondEmptyDoc
5. put another Sisiphus in the SecondEmptyDoc
When I MR, they stop; apparently not in phase ?
Is this not multi-tasking ?

Or write a utility to loop Out.String without Out.Ln to see if
Sisiphus walks while Out.String writes ?

>   Mice with 3-8 buttons is cheap.
What does this mean ?
We know about 1,2,3 button mice; not '8'.

-------------
> I'm  attempt learn S3 but can't understand work with visual-model
> link as it is in "Oberon companion". Is ( at all) more documentation?

I too did not make good progress with learning Gadgets.

> For example, which command can help me find  all model in some
> document, without inspecting all visuals, or where is (named or
> newly created) model without any link - deleted? If not, as I can
> handle it?

I don't think such a facility exists (directly).
Why should it ?
Normally a html page does not have a facility to show all links;
 but S3  offers: HyperDocTools.LinkIndex *

My criticism of the Gadgets tutorial is that it is not structured to:
* use minimalist examples to:
   1. mouse manipulate Gadgets
   2. create/manipulate Gadgets from Module.Command format
              (like above Sisiphus example).
   3. create/manipulate Gadgets from embedded source code.

Important is to be minimalist yet standalone/complete;
like "hello world".  Not submerged in encyclopaedic details.

PS. does Ukraine have widely used functioning telephone system,
like Bulgaria and Russia ?
I have made 30% of the Cyrillic script for S3 (size ~ *10.Scn.Fnt);
can you check it and complete it (using FontEditor.Panel) ?
Not difficult.  I can post my work.  And can you give information
about position of characters to keys (mapping) - please ?

ghost wrote:
> Trying to jam the right side frame as far to the
> right as possible and limit it's size is not really
> necessary since the included text files won't
> display within the remaining 640x480 display
> and they too must be popped to full screen using
> the "grow" button to be readable.

The SystemTrack is for files which you seldom [Store] or even [Search],
eg. your personal/customised Tool, and hence seldom needs to have
its rightmost [buttons] accessed.  Like stuff in real life.

-- Chris Glur.