[Oberon] Native Oberon introductory documentation

muller at inf.ethz.ch muller at inf.ethz.ch
Wed Aug 7 00:08:03 CEST 2002

Lisias Toledo <lisias at unforgettable.com> wrote, quoting cangelich at famvid.com:
> > Nothing `pops up' for Native/Oberon/Beta that I can recall.
>
> THIS IS A SEVERE FAULT.
> It took to me a couple hours to read all the tutorial, and I can say
> without doubt I cannot managed to use Oberon without readind it first.
> In true, I cannot managed even to OPEN the Distribution.text without
> read it first.

I can not agree with this.

A minimal Native Oberon system can be installed from a single
install diskette (Oberon-0), by design.  Therefore there are
some bootstrapping restrictions on the documentation included.

The intended "documentation path" for a new Native Oberon user
is as follows.  I include the URLs so that anyone here who is
interested can read the relevant documents and suggest improvements.

1. readme.txt on ftp.inf.  This gives a four-paragraph overview
of Native Oberon, its hardware requirements, how to install it,
and where to get further information.  It also includes a copy
of the license agreement.

It is a plain ASCII document intended for reading anywhere.