[Oberon] unformatted text (and yes, more 3 but mouse)

Charles Angelich cangelich at famvid.com
Wed Aug 7 14:04:29 CEST 2002

>Message: 2
>Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 13:38:37 +0300
>From: "Yuri M. Skripkah" <yurix at i.com.ua>
>To: Ghost in the Machine <oberon at inf.ethz.ch>
>Subject: Re: [Oberon] God as the last Oberon user
>
> Ghost in the Machine wrote:
>
>GitM> A three button mouse is not "interoperability with the rest of the
>GitM> world" it is non-standard equipment.

>Non-standard in PC world. :)

>Why so attention to mouse? I buy Logitech M-S35 for $8 ant forgot
>problems. I already know what non-motivated user will not use
>non-windows(tm) environment: why.

Because people, much like yourself, insist that I should not have
an opinion about using one and I insist that I am entitled to my
opinion.

>But narrow display is problem: 17" monitor ( flat matrix the more so )
>is expensive.

The display is not narrow, the formatting of the displays used by Oberon
are too wide for the available displays.  HTML browsers can reformat and
word wrap to various sized windows.  Try it sometime.

If word wrap and detecting the user configured display size is too much
overhead for Oberon then it should be required that all Oberon text be
formatted to accomodate the minimum allowable display offered when installing
Oberon.  In particular, those text files that are SUPPOSED to be there to help
new Oberon users.  Why format a "User Guide" to the most expensive least
common
monitor/display size?

I will post the notes I made after having reading PPP.Tool here after this
message
re: NO formatting of parts of the text at all. ;-)

Charles Angelich

The Ghost in the Machine!

DOS and W31 Tech website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost

Stories, poems, music, and photos website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost/faf