[Oberon] PPP.Tool - Notes

Charles Angelich cangelich at famvid.com
Wed Aug 7 16:51:09 CEST 2002

Hello Edgar -

I did read and reread your PPP.Tool text file.  Unfortunately I made some
foolish
error and wiped out all the editing I had done to Oberon.Text and the
System.Tool
file and must return and reread PPP.Tool and re-edit etc. but that's my
problem.

There are a few problems with the lack of word-wrap or lack of text
formatting.  I'm
too new to Oberon to know for certain why but some paragraphs display as
VERY long
lines that disappear under the system track. :-\

I tried Script.Open, Edit.Open, and even DeskTop.OpenDoc (I think that's
who it's
spelled?).  None of these would wrap your text.  Not all of the text is
like this
just certain parts.

I did not attempt to critique the structure nor the wording of the text at
this
time but I do find mixing SLIP instructions with PAP instruction a bit
confusing
at times.  I really think this is an ongoing problem with Oberon text files
attempting to be a "one size fits all" text and just becoming confusing in the
process.

My notes:

All of these refer to lines of text within PPP.Tool.

If PAPName = {<username>} and PAPPassword = {<password>} are not
used any longer they should be deleted from Oberon.Text.
(after reading the listing of changes to ALPHA re:Pieter's URL
I see this `note' is redundant for newer versions but not for
Native/Update/Beta)

The line "In case your provider uses PAP ..." has no hard returns.
It is one continuous line of text most of which is behind the sytem
track.

Within this same line it says: "... you should set the PAP parameters
and try the following dial script."  Question is, if we're no longer
using PAPPassword and PAPName then where are these "PAP parameters" I
am supposed to set?

In the example dialing script PAPName and PAPPassword have been
removed?  This seemed odd that PPP.Tool had this alteration but
Oberon.Text was never modified at the time the new PPP.Tool was
included for the install diskette image file?

The line at "Some more or less common problems already  encountered"
the lines of this paragraph have no hard returns and disappear under
the system track.

Below the "Some more ..." the line "-If you change something ..." has
no hard returns and disappears under the system track.

Question: If changing "something" in my NetSystem configuration requires
that I reboot before attempting to login to my ISP then I assume there
should be instructions to reboot after the first configuration of
Oberon.Text also?  There are no such instructions to reboot in order
to login to an ISP via dialup.

At "If you still have problems" the line "If you don't have an idea ..."
has no hard returns and disappears under the system track.

At "Then you have a problem in PPP setup." there are no hard returns and
the text disappears under the system track.

At the bottom "Now the lower layers are up ..." all of the remaining
text does not wrap, disappears under the system track.

When NOT configured with System3.Tool the system track does not
offer ANY of the NetSystem.? commands.  How would a newbie find
these?  I typed them into the system track _and_ tried to save this
before quitting Oberon somehow managing to overwrite System.Tool with
the file Oberon.Text which I had also edited to match your information
within PPP.Tool - but, again, that's my problem. ;-)

Charles Angelich

The Ghost in the Machine!

DOS and W31 Tech website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost

Stories, poems, music, and photos website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost/faf