[Oberon] beginners only

cglur at onwe.co.za cglur at onwe.co.za
Sat Aug 10 20:11:03 CEST 2002

Ghost wrote:
> If none of the above could anyone tell me what needs to be added to the
> Alpha Install Oberon0.dsk image file to allow installing Alpha to a
> DOS FAT file (loopback)?  I'm willing to give it a try but am not certain
> what needs to be added to allow this option for Native/Alpha.

After the stable Ver 2.3.6, the beta & alpha main new features are the
ability to access multiple partitions.  The main advantage of DOSbased
is that users don't need to mess with the existing partition(s).
Since beta & alpha versions need their own partition(s), it seems
pointless to spend effort to make DOSbased versions.  You should be
using Ver 2.3.6, IMHO.

> I'm slowly reading the "Companion" installed documentation files.  I found
> a way to get beyond that compiler graphic in chapter 2 that locks the
> scroll.  I use the MM to get an absolute position past the graphic. :-)

You "found" after at least twice being instructed !?

> Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 04:28:29
> The references to the "PPP={}" routine seem circular to me?
>
> This: NetSystem.SetUser pap:cglur:<my password>@PPP ~
>
> Seems to be referencing the dialer script?  I don't understand
> this.
>
> Same thing here: Dialer.Dial PPP Device0 ~
>
> The "PPP" location is for the <provider>.  I don't get it?

PPP is complicated.  I just hope that the setup instructions can be
followed to succeed, without being understood.

==========================
> Was reading the "Companion" book installed with Native Oberon Beta
> and found the command EditTools.ChangeColor { old => new } ~.
>
> Question: Where are the color NUMBERS given?  I looked in the
> corresponding EditTools.Tool and no chart was there for the
> numbers to substitute for the colors. :-\

If I wanted to know this I might try: Desktops.OpenDoc   Find.Panel ~
with "olor" ? or olour" in Chapter*.Text
Or Find.Domain  with Find.All ^

But for users (vs. programmers) n-o is very 'visual' = 'just do it' !
In my personal Tool I've got:
    Script.ChangeColor 5 1 = red, 2= grn, 3= blu 5=yellow
which reminds me of some values.
I only use this when I don't have the required color AND script on
my 'pallette'.  The 'pallette' is my personal Tool (C.Tool) which is
'decorated' with various colors and fonts.   So when you want to
change color & font of some text {VERY POWERFULL FOR 'COKI PENNING'
YOUR OWN NOTES/TUTORS}, just select the destination and 'dab the
pallette' via: ML interclick MR, at the source!

-- Chris Glur.