Re. [Oberon] offscreen commands ? & ps/pdf docs

cglur at onwe.co.za cglur at onwe.co.za
Sun Aug 11 20:54:10 CEST 2002

Charles Angelich wrote:
> I've temporarily solved the problem with 640x480 displays
> concealing the "Search" and "Store" commands offscreen on
> the right side of the System.Tool display by selecting all
> of the text within the toolbar and executing:
>
> Script.ChangeFont Oberon8.Scn.Fnt

Amazing, I never realised it was a problem !
Can you solve my 'problem' that line 455 of my text is also 'offscreen' ?

In your 'toolbox' you will have big & small screw-driver(s) ?
For different tasks. Rather than 2 of the same.  Your attempt
to make UserTrack & SystemTrack behave the same, is false logic.

> I can now "Store" changes to System.Tool without the two
> "grow" MM clicks and then two "close" MM clicks to get it
> back to the system track location. :-)
>

> Works for System.Log too.

Remember System.Log is special/different.
It's name is visible without typing, and can be the root of a second
entry tree, to do much without ever using the keyboard.

> Others mentioned needing to grow/close to access these
> and I thought I'd mention this temp fix.  :-\

The ability to 'have stuff hidden' in central to computing:
  to reduce mental clutter.

But by all means customise your 'setup' to suite your personality.
N-o makes this easy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Question: Are there Post Script and/or PDF readers written for
> use with Oberon that I can add to a Native/Beta 08.12.00 install
> to view these postscript and pdf documents?

 What ps/pdf docs ? N-o currently doesn't handle them.

> I do know that these are printer-ready files but I also know
> it's a waste of printer ink and paper to print out 200 pdf
> pages to find they weren't what you needed. :-\

 If you think any paper representation can better n-o text for
serious reading/studying text, this proves that you have not yet
found much of n-o's power.

* No pages to flip.
* Immediate search/find  words or phrases; also in multiple docs.
* Effortless 'Koki pen' marking, to your chosen colour/script.
* Effortless cutNpaste from multiple documnets to multiple documents,
   to build your own version of the material.

-- Chris Glur