[Oberon] Major feature undocumented ?!

cglur at onwe.co.za cglur at onwe.co.za
Fri Aug 16 12:28:26 CEST 2002

Re. n-o alpha 2001:-

We've hear about Intel (and others) releasing products with
undocumented facilities.  Were they not confident to mention it ?
Did the typist miss a section ?

Peviously my comments about the "menu frame collapsed into
a dropdown menu for SystemFrame usage", got no response.

Let me now be more direct:
  HELLO!!  Is anybody aware of this facility ?

This facility (after long usage, when I finally found how to 'activate'
it) served as a workaround for the 'TRAP on grow' of frames with
hyperlinks.  Again this 'TRAP on grow' was never acknowledged,
until I specifically requested an admission/denial.

Interestingly, my 'TRAP on grow' problem, is because the Store
button is not accessable for Desktops.OpenDoc viewers under
VGA (default) mode.  Apparently other users don't use VGA mode,
and were'nt aware of any problem ?

With the dropdown menu, the store button is accessable; and
I found that I could save frames with hyperlinks by:
* Desktops.OpenDoc a viewer in the SystemTrack.
* copy by cutNpaste the original viewer to the SystemTrack viewer.
* suitably (re)name the SystemTrack viewer and Store.

An additional quirk (or did I just forget it) has arisen:
I want to save (as Devlp:Asm4no.html)
   http://www.cs.sun.ac.za/courses/pregrad/rw252/op2_asm.html
which I can't do directly, because the store button is 'off track',
and growing to full screen will trap.   I find:

1. Desktops.OpenDoc  Devlp:Asm4no.html 'to' SystemTrack
 does NOT open a dropdown menu type.

2. Desktops.OpenDoc  <non-html-name>  DOES open a dropdown
    menu type.

3. After Devlp:Asm4no.html was stored (by renaming the name-plate)
    Desktops.OpenDoc  Devlp:Asm4no.html opens with dropdown menu
    type, also without F1 pre-locate. Ie. opens to it's (somehow
    rememnbered?!) "birthplace" !

Is the 'position on screen from where stored', saved with the file !?
There seem to be a number a spooky symptoms, which if not understood
will cause greater problems later.

-- Chris Glur.

PS. I've documented subtle symptoms re. modem and ppp which might
relate to the mention of 'latency problems' (was it about blue-bottle ?)