[Oberon] option to chose system default font in Native

Charles Angelich cangelich at famvid.com
Thu Aug 22 16:36:40 CEST 2002

>From: muller at inf.ethz.ch
>Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 19:04:05 +0200
>To: oberon at inf.ethz.ch
>Cc: muller at inf.ethz.ch
>Subject: Re: [Oberon] ETH N-O Native/Beta directory display
>
>Charles Angelich <cangelich at famvid.com> wrote:
>> 640x480 video display driver:
>> System track = 36 Oberon10.Scn.Fnt chars
>> User track   = 63 Oberon10.Scn.Fnt chars
>
>Since Oberon10 is a proportional font it makes no sense to
>count the number of characters.  Or did you mean Courier10?
>
>> To increase the usefulness of the
>> System.Directory display I have made the following changes.
[...]
>> Changes were required within Texts.Mod to the Writeint
>>procedure to correct mismatched columns in the more complete
>>directory display.
>
>Not a good idea to make non-backward-compatible changes in a
>low-level module.  Neither is field padding with a proportional
>font.

I have installed the W31 version of Oberon and found that the user
can chose the default system font by editing a text INI file.

I did post a message here asking if this option could be added to
Native Oberon (chose the system font default) but have, as yet, no
reply.

I have modified my Oberon.Mod to auto-detect display sizes and chose
the default font.  I use different display sizes here on different
machines. In part to see what others see rather than argue with them
that "It looks fine to me" and because my different hardware has
different capabilities. I originally did this to see HTML pages in
various sizes.

btw: What happened to the Syntax#.Scn.Fnt I find in W31.  I like
that font!

Charles Angelich

The Ghost in the Machine!

DOS and W31 Tech website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost

Stories, poems, music, and photos website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost/faf