[Oberon] Re: Oberon digest, Vol 1 #56 - 3 msgs

Charles Angelich cangelich at famvid.com
Mon Aug 26 15:58:49 CEST 2002

>Message: 1
>From: muller at inf.ethz.ch
>Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 23:07:31 +0200
>To: oberon at inf.ethz.ch
>Cc: muller at inf.ethz.ch
>Subject: [Oberon] Native Oberon alpha updated
>
>An updated Native Oberon alpha version is now available at:
>  ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub/ETHOberon/Native/Update/Alpha/
>
>The detailed changes are listed at:
>  http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/native/WebAlpha.html
>
>All changes up to 24.08.02 are in the downloadable version.
>Notably, the Oberon-0 installation diskette now supports
>FAT-based installation again, using the completely rewritten
>FAT file system (from the Dummies release) of Bernhard Egger.

Thank you.

>Important things remaining to do for the planned beta release:
>o apply remaining updates (NetSystem, Mail, etc.)

Where would I find these "update" modules on the ETH server?

>o improve installation workflow and documentation
>o bring on-line installation documentation in line with new concepts
>  http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/installA.txt

I scanned this text briefly.  Even though it mentioned that it would
attempt to go directly into the installation procedures and leave
the "exceptions" for the end of the text, this is not what I found.

I continue to believe that the DOS FAT file install is the least
invasive install for new users who have not even SEEN Oberon before
and are, therefore, unable to make an informed decision to chose
which install they would prefer.  Few will dedicate an entire
partition inaccessible to their other installed OS without having
even seen the OS in question on screen?

Creating a multi-OS system and repartioning without damaging existing
installs of other OS has become one of the more common causes of users
who have trashed their entire hard drive and must reformat and re-install
_everything_.

>o improve release build tools to make it easier for others to use
>
>Afterwards we'll start a round of testing and error documentation
>and correction, aiming for a release by the end of the year.
>
>-- Pieter

Am downloading the Alpha files now. :-)

Charles Angelich

The Ghost in the Machine!

DOS and W31 Tech website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost

Stories, poems, music, and photos website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost/faf