[Oberon] RE: Oberon digest, Vol 1 #57 - 10 msgs

Patrik Reali reali at acm.org
Sat Aug 31 00:04:06 CEST 2002

> storing. As such it is mostly syntactic lolli-pops, but does get rid of
all
> those ghastly SYSTEM.VALs

I know, whenever writing low-level code, you may end up writing tons of
SYSTEM.VAL; at least they don't cost anything at all, since this instruction
is just to change the way the compiler interprets the value, but usually
generates no code at all.

> The benifit of all this is that it is easy to extend to say UINT64 of
INT128
> to add support for new architectures
> without breaking existing code or the other way around.

Which also makes the language portable across platforms with different
word-size.

> Patrik don't worry I don't expect changes to Oberon any time soon. It's
just
> ideas being tossed around. In the
> final analysis that why were here :)

Thanks! I'm really appreciate how this discussion is nicely evolving along
the technical details which help everybody understand and evaluate the pros
and cons of such a change, instead of degenerating in a useless flame war.

-Patrik