[Oberon] Native/Alpha Install to FAT file

Charles Angelich cangelich at famvid.com
Sat Aug 31 00:46:24 CEST 2002

The install for Native/Alpha to a single FAT file is less
"user friendly" than the previous Beta install.  I would
hazard a guess that 1 in 10 would be able to install Alpha
to a single FAT file.

Once installed the assumption that the addon Zip files are
already copied to the system directory is premature since
there are no commands listed to put them there.  I would
think new users would have little to no idea how to unZip
these into the sytem directory using what "clues" are
available to them from within the included System.Text.

In short, the intall is _capable_ of working but it's
unlikely to work for new users unfamiliar with ETH Oberon.

It seems that my suggestions were _reversed_ to make installs
by average persons even LESS likely and more hazardous for
those who do not fully understand the software they used to
download Oberon with.

The additons of "SYS:" to the filename for each file in the
System.Directory is almost insulting considering the amount
of available space for display in the system track display.

My first impression is that this is a disappointment after
two years of waiting the two years don't show an improvement.

Possibly this is a "joke" release?

Charles Angelich

The Ghost in the Machine!

DOS and W31 Tech website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost

Stories, poems, music, and photos website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost/faf