[Oberon] Resizing partition for Bluebottle

mcintosh at vima.austin.tx.us mcintosh at vima.austin.tx.us
Tue Sep 3 22:52:29 CEST 2002

While installing Bluebottle on a machine with a windows 98
environment, I thought that I would resize the windows partition.  I
found the "ranish" partition resize software, and this worked as a
first effort.

I am now going to install Bluebottle on a production machine that has
a Windows ME installation in a multi boot arrangement.  For some
reason, there are "unmovable" files in the ME partition out near the
8Gb limit, so I can't seem to shrink the partition smaller than this.

I am about to launch "Partition Resizer" to move this partition back
about 1 Gb, and put the Bluebottle partition at the front of the
disk.  If anyone has had trouble with "Partition Resizer", I would
like to hear soon.

I had also thought of using Bluebottle to copy the 7GB ME partition
off to a file, then back to the newly moved partition.  I haven't
read the FAT-32 format, so I don't know if there are data that must
be edited while doing this move.

I thought that there would be some use for a Bluebottle equivalent of
"xcopy" that would recursively copy all the files to another drive
letter.  This would surely be a limited use item, but things such as
the ranish partition resizer and the partition resizer are in the
same niche and seem to have their place in the world.

Does anyone have such a tool in the Bluebottle environment?
Did other people just do what I have envisioned above?

-- Aubrey
(Back on-line in Morris, Minnesota)