[Oberon] native oberon communty structure ?

cglur at onwe.co.za cglur at onwe.co.za
Fri Sep 6 01:29:49 CEST 2002

Pieter wrote:
> While I can obviously not speak for the ETH and Prof. Gutknecht, I
> can give you my opinion.
>
> > I think that the Active-Oberon-Language with BlueBottle-OS is very
> > interesting. But at the same time I fear, that ETH-Oberon will die if
> > the big ETH people like Pieter Muller and Patrik Reali will leave ETH.

The oberon (world) community exists in/via NewsGroup c.l.o.
and mailing-list(s).

The re-structuring of the mailing-list(s) has sucked the life out of
NewsGroup c.l.o.     I think this is an unintended consequence ?

The waves of 'what Wirth forgot to include in his design', which
regularly used the sweep c.l.o. are now invading the mailing-list.

I think these 'higher level' arguments apply to S3, V4, Black-box
...etc., and should liven up c.l.o. instead of infiltrating the mailing-list;
which is better restricted to specific implememtation details.

I.e. "philosophy of language design" is for c.l.o.
Debugging of existing versions is for mailing list(s) - 'open', like
linux.  Not hidden.   Software practice acknowledges the advantages
of 'the several pairs of eyes' approach.
Are any of you aware (have read) the social/psychological aspects
of collaboration, analysed for the linux community ?

Also for educational value and the spreading of competence through
the n-o community, the fixing of errors should be open, with proper
description of the analyses and proposed fix(s).

Apparently because of the academic cycle, I got no response to some
serious queries over the last 10-12 months.  Fortunately I've kept my
unreplied-to queries, to retry, with the now increased actively.

-- Chris Glur.