[Oberon] Native 24.0802 Installation

Stefan Salewski Salewski at PHYSnet.Uni-Hamburg.de
Sun Sep 15 18:50:27 CEST 2002

Hello!

I have just installed PC Native Oberon 24.08.02.
(Only base-system from Oberon0, no additional packages.)

A few comments:
Installation is clear and straight forward, but I think there
should be an additional step between Partitions.Show and
Partitions.Format.

The text in *.Tool may look like

"Use Partitions.Show to see all available Partitions.
Then select a partition like "IDE0#01" and execute
Partitions.VerifySelection to proof your selection."

Partitions.VerifySelection should write something like "You have
selected  "IDE0#01" (First partition of your first harddisk).
Execute Partitions.Format to format this partition or select
another partition." to the log.
I have prepared the first installation to boot from floppy. Then
I booted Oberon0 again to prepare for booting direct from
harddisk. The command is "Config.BootPartition menu~", but I was
not absolutely sure which command I have to select before this.
I guess it may be "FileSystem.Mount IDE0#01~", but I was not
sure, so I have done the whole installation process again. The
same question appears if I boot Oberon0 again to change Display
parameters. I guess I have to do
Boot Oberon0
Config.Disk
Filesystem.Mount
Config.Mode
But I am not sure. Will Config.Mode modify the Bootblock, so
that I have to adapt my Bootmanager?
Config.DetectVesa gives a TRAP:
TRAP -13 General protection fault (PC Native 24.08.02)
Unknown EIP=00000B6AH EBP=00000000H
TRAP -14 (recursive)

My Hardware:
Mainboard: Asus A7V133 Rev: 1.04
Processor: AMD Athlon Thunderbird 800 MHz
Graphic-Card: Matrox G450
While booting Oberon0-disk for the second time, the system hung
displaying a black screen with blue frame. The reason were bad
blocks on the floppy.

Best regards

  Stefan Salewski