[Oberon] partitions extension

muller at inf.ethz.ch muller at inf.ethz.ch
Tue Sep 24 21:09:28 CEST 2002

(Repeating a previous answer in private email).

Holzapfel Carsten <c.holzapfel at cti-ag.com> wrote:
> it is possible to extend a oberon partition?

Yes, but it is not straightforward.

> and how can I do that, with a exist Native Oberon, Aos (typ 76)
> partition?

Basically you have to enlarge the partition by modifying the
partition table in the MBR (assuming it is a primary partition).
This is not too difficult to do with a hex sector editor if you
know the partition table format, and there is free space available
after the AosFS partition.  Free space can be created by moving
or resizing other partitions using a commercial tool like
PartionMagic.

The AosFS will notice by itself if its partition becomes larger
and will automatically use the additional space.

For the partition table format, look at Disks.Mod (there are
documentation pointers in the comments).

Another way is to reinstall to a larger partition and copy the
existing files.  I think André is working on some case study
for this.

-- Pieter

--
Pieter Muller, Computer Systems Institute, ETH Zurich / MCT Lab, Zurich
Native Oberon OS: http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/native/