[Oberon] Slim Binaries - what happened ?

Bernhard Treutwein BdT at wildwein.de
Sun Oct 6 18:59:15 CEST 2002

Once upon a time there was Slim Binaries for Mac (as opposed to Fat
Binaries, where the executables contained both the 68000 and the
PowerPC instructions). As far as I understood it it was the compressed
parse tree of the compiler, which was compiled on the fly during the
load by a so called compiling loader dubbed OMI (Oberon Module
Interchange ?). It was also ported to the Intel architecture. In that time
we had portable code for really different platforms.

As far as I understand, OMI is now history and not implemented in the
current ETH Oberon system, although it referenced heavily in the
"Oberon Companion".

I ask myself, why did is it dead ?

More info about Slim Binaries:
       http://www.ics.uci.edu/~franz/SlimBinaries.html

If I understand the compiler genealogy (http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/compiler/)
correct, I guess that OMI has never been updated to the "enhanced" features
Patrik Reali implemented. Is there any principle problem with that ?

regards

    Bernhard