Re. [Oberon] PC Makers Hit Speed Bumps - Oberon opportunity

Douglas G. Danforth danforth at greenwoodfarm.com
Mon Oct 7 02:36:06 CEST 2002

Linux is a collaborative effort that built on an existing
unix base (e.g. SUN OS, IBM AIX, ...).  Oberon did not and does
not have that base.

I must admit that I do not understand why the (seemingly) inferior
almost always wins out.

If the C language had been developed somewhere other than Bell Labs
would it have suceeded?  Politics and momentum frequently overpower quality.
One needs a very strong advocate who is willing to weather the storm to
bring forth what should be "as simple as possible".

-Doug