[Oberon] ? How2fetch http://--.tar.gz & V24

eas-lab at absamail.co.za eas-lab at absamail.co.za
Thu Dec 19 12:40:10 CET 2002

"Peter Easthope"  wrote:
> From memory (probably partly wrong) select the URI of the
> file you want and execute HyperDocTools.Fetch <LocalName> ~.

Apparently NOT.
*   HyperDocs.Tool reads:
HyperDocTools.Fetch Local.Doc ~	Download the selected link to Local.Doc.
** I don't want 'local', I want from remote side of the world,
** I don't want 'doc', I want a binary file.

Even with  <LocalName> available,
   HyperDocTools.Fetch PICscope.html ~
shows nothing nor System.Log trace !
Yet Desktops.OpenDoc "PICscope.html"  shows 'goods-stuff'.

I would susupect that HyperDocTools.Obj is dud, except that I regularly use
HyperDocTools.LinkIndex *

Re. not being able to fetch via Desktops.OpenDoc "*.tar.gz",
whereas .doc, .wpd, .pdf etc are fetchable: my first guess
is that the code made a simplistic but false assumption
which worked OK up till now (like the false assumption
that loginID and passwords would not use "@"), that "."
would be followed by the 'file-extension' which has no
further ".".
 ------------
> Can anyone offer advice about establishing a terminal connection
> over a serial line (ie. not IP)?  I have a dialer which connects to
> the server and does the authentication.  The difficulty is in
> getting the V24.Panel to take over.  "Desktops.OpenDoc V24.Panel"
> gives this message.
> Can not open port, error = 1

I've spent some time with V24 testing a voice modem and have got
a lot of 'logs'.   I clearly remember often having the:
  Can not open port, error = 1
problem.

I can't remember how I fixed it.  Here's some of my log, that
suggests I needed to re-boot ? :-

> Devlp:LOG11Oct.alfa  ->  V24.Panel  == Can not open port, error = 1
> Try 'alpa 11.10.2001' machine: V24.Panel Open: 2 19200 8 1 none
> == opens OK ??!
> ** try re-boot. & 2 19200 8 1 none ==  Opened ...
> ** just paste strings from "Oberon.Text / Dial = {" followed by <enter>
> ?? problem to re-run (can't paste-in stings) after Clos-ing ??
> ** try re-boot )OK ... cuts of for "ATM1" during dialing.
> ** try omit "ATM1"

I want to dwell on an unmentioned yet important fact of
remote-colaborative work:  when one user finds he has to 'cough twice
and wink thrice' to get the machine working, this 'technique' moves to
his sub-concious, and he later falsely imagines that the machine has 'no
problems'.  So he can't understand/accept that the next user(s) can't
fly.   So you have the perpetual 'n-o underscore char', where old-users
just have their private-patches/work-arounds and potential new users
just abort.

Back to the specifics of you problem, here my log for NOW:
1. Desktops.OpenDoc  V24.Panel
2. set to eg. 2 38400 8 1 none == Can not open port, error = 1
3. try: 2 19200 8 1 none == Can not open port, error = 1
4. I can't re-boot NOW, before I've read my latest inet load.

NB. if your mouse is on port 1, it's good that opening port 1
fails !

In your case, I guess:
   the dialer drives the serial port; drives the modem.

 I would (once the V24 has the ser.port and gets 'talkback'/confirmation
from the modem), use a script to the V24 to do the dialing etc. and
then carry on with the rest of the task.  Ie. don't have a 'dialer' separate
from the V24 facility.

I'll try it later after I re-boot.

-- Chris Glur.