Re (2): [Oberon] Multiple incompatibilities with ISPs

Edgar at EdgarSchwarz.de Edgar at EdgarSchwarz.de
Sun Dec 29 16:04:24 CET 2002

Hi,
Christmas is over and I finally will have some time for Oberon again
I hope.

eas-lab at absamail.co.za wrote:
> "Peter Easthope" wrote:-
>
> > A few days ago I commented,
> > 'PPP.Tool states "PPP is described in RFC (...)1584."
> > This RFC is entitled "Multicast Extensions to OSPF".
> > Perhaps the intended citation is RFC 1331'.
> >
> > There is a later document, RFC 1548, _The Point-to
> > -Point Protocol (PPP)_, which obsoletes 1331.
> > 1548 should be cited in the PPP.Tool.
So it seems I switched two figures in PPP.Tool. Nevertheless RFC 1548 is obsoleted
by RFC 1661.
So browsing through my RFC printouts I found the following list. Perhaps some of
them are obsoleted in the meantime.
1172 PPP Inital Configuration Options
1332 PPP Internet Protocol Control Protocol
1334 PPP Authentication Protocol
1570 PPP LCP Extensions
1661 Point to Point Protocol

> Do the RFC's show the 'state transition diagrams' ? Or table(s) ?
Yes, see RFC 1661.

> As I recall you indicated/suspected a 'small incompatability
> between n-o PPP and some ISP' ?  This could be a BIG job to
> debug.
There are means for tracing the stuff. But the main point I guess is your
familiarity with the protocol so you are able to find the point where
there is a problem.

> I notice Edgar refers to VCS in PPPMain.Mod .
> This could be a very good reason to see if/how control version software
> works.   A formal, disciplined frame-work for collaboration
> might solve some main problems of n-o, besides PPP ?
I contributed to RFC 3253 (Versioning Extensions to WebDAV) and still plan to
create an Oberon client and server for it. I'm still two weeks at home (One of them
even without two boys competing for my HW resources because they are back at school :-)
The drawback it that at least with a first version even the client will need XML and
this means Bluebottle.
So as you see I'm working on a framework for collaboration but can't make any promises
as you will surely understand. There are many things which can go wrong if you
write SW. Sometimes even HW breaks :-)
To answer possible questions about CVS, Sourceforge at al. Give me an Oberon client for
them and perhaps I would cancel my project :-)

Another point is that I would like to collect information on problems with PPP
on Oberon somewhere. I don't have the urge to take every article concerning PPP from
the mailing list and put it somewhere else. You could do it yourself.
So I installed a VERY simple forum at "http://www.edgar-schwarz.de/foren/oberon/".
Being very simple (Without 'fancy' things like frames and Javascript. Written in Perl)
it seems to work even with NO. I added a feature that I should get a mail when
somebody is posting an article so I can respond.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Edgar

--
edgar at edgarschwarz.de                    http://www.edgarschwarz.de