Re (2): [Oberon] PPP and overall Oberon coordination

peter_easthope at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca peter_easthope at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca
Fri May 9 18:38:30 CEST 2003

Chris & Edgar,

cg> On the contrary, I think the attempt to integrate NetSystem,
Dialer and ppp makes for complexity instead of 'modularlity'.

OK.  Please describe your best plan for
organization of authentication parameters
in Oberon.

cg> 1. there is possibly a loginID and loginPassword to the ISP
 *before* entereing the ppp level.

In general, yes this is possible.
What is this server system you are dealing with?

cg> 2. these 2 strings can contain any character sequence;
   therefore NO character can serve as an 'escape' char - at this stage.

I do not understand whether we are discussing
the handling of the authentication parameters in
Oberon or the communication between the remote
peer and Oberon.  In PAP, the sender specifies the
length of a word before sending it.  The word can
contain any octets and escape characters are never
needed.

cg> 3. once ppp level is entered 'escape' chars are applicable.

RFC 1334 does not mention escape characters for
transmission of the userid or password.

cg> I'm waiting for a written acceptance (or denial) that the pre-ppp
level ISP login and password can't be parsed by using ANY ascii-char
(including""") as a token delimiter.

The response to item 2 above applies here.

cg> PS. How IS the UserID and password parsed in the login dialog
with the ISP ?

For PAP this is specified in RFC 1334.

cg> Apparently by the 'line terminator' -  <CR> and/or <LF>
and perhaps a time pause ?

This is reminiscent of the proprietary system
named "First Class".  It has only one
authentication and not PAP.  Just what system
are you trying to access?

Regards,    P.

     http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/