[Oberon] Re: Java & Oberon history?

Antony Tersol atersol at owl.csusm.edu
Mon Jun 2 18:23:15 CEST 2003

There was an article in Wired magazine a few years ago, which included
an interview with Bill Joy, I believe, of Sun, and my recollection is
that he mentioned Oberon as an influence.

pause while I do a quick Google on "Wired Bill Joy Oberon" which yields

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/6.08/jini_pr.html

'One Huge Computer
By Kevin Kelly and Spencer Reiss

The Net made it possible. Java made it doable. Jini might just make it
happen. An on-the-fly, plug-and-work, global nervous system that
connects his cam to her RAM to your PDA.

Also: A conversation with Sun's founding spirit Bill Joy.'

an excerpt:

'One of Joy's favorite engineering maxims - "Large successful systems
start as small successful systems" - is another way of saying: Use what
already works. In 1994, the Aspen skunkworks already had a workstation
running Oberon, an ambitious attempt by Zürich-based Niklaus Wirth, the
inventor of Pascal, to create a featherweight system written entirely in
one simple programming language. Such knowledge-based computing erases
the conventional distinction between the OS and applications.'