Re (2): [Oberon] monitoring an RS-232 interface.

peter_easthope at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca peter_easthope at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca
Mon Jun 16 19:35:13 CEST 2003

Sorry for the wrong time stamp on several
and lack of alertness.)

Chris,

cg> > "http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/native/WebTrace.html" .
I've archived this. It's only about 10 lines. Is that right ?

Yes.

cg> "WebTrace" seems to be a poorly chosen name.

Perhaps someone at the ETH can change the
name to SerialTrace.html or such.

cg> The serial port(s) only need attention when their FIFO (buffers)
are getting full ...
Has n-o got the ability to interrupt for modem or mouse ?

No.  There is only a simple event loop.

I haven't studied V24.Mod but judging by the
LEDs on the modem, receiving and transmitting
rarely persist very long.  So the keyboard
and mouse shouldn't need to wait very long
for attention.  So long as the event loop
isn't bogged down with other tasks, Oberon
might keep up with two serial lines.  Also,
monitoring of a serial line needs no mouse and
keyboard input until you are ready to stop
monitoring.  A delay in response to mouse or
keyboard should not be a concern.

cg> Older machines had smaller buffered ser-chips
and would be more likely to 'overflow'.

Seems best to just set up available hardware
and try it.  Why not?

cg> The whole business of how (normally) the ser-modem is given and
releases its ser-port, is central to the ppp-bug which I'm
investigating, and where readers 'look the other way' when
I ask questions. =:-(

These are unusual problems; solutions are
not immediately evident.  Persist.

cg> What is the serial port speed setting for the mouse ?

Check Input.Mod and modules it imports.

Presumeably the program for AOS which Thomas
mentioned would have the advantage of
integrating the received and transmitted data
better than simply using two V24 tasks. My
limitation is not having a portable Pentium
machine for Bluebottle.

P.S. to original message.  Rather than make
a tee cable with a side branch splitting into
two I should just take a ribbon cable and
install two additional connectors between the
ends.  A straight modem cable can connect one
of these connectors to one serial port.  A null
modem cable can connect the other connector to
the second serial port.

Thanks for the ideas.

Regards,       P.

     http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/