[Oberon] White-List and spam

Douglas G. Danforth danforth at greenwoodfarm.com
Wed Jul 2 17:20:38 CEST 2003

[
> a challenge mail is sent to the sender of the mail.
> The challenge can not be answered by a machine. (e.g. selecting a picture /
> reading a word in a noisy picture / selecting a word out of a text)
> The approach could be enhanced by a bayesian filter.
]

Just a brief comment.  I recently realized that a poor mans version of a
white-list [without the challange] can be easily implemented with
Netscape mail and its message filters.  Previously I had a large number
of filters vainly trying to catch all of the spam but gave up.  In its
place I have one filter which contains my white-list which directs all
acceptible messages to my "box" folder and leaves all the rest of the
messages in the "inbox".  This is a big win.  I still have to visually
scan the "inbox" titles but can do that much more rapidly since now 99+%
of them are guarenteed to be spam.  I then just delete all messages in
the inbox.  Practically and psychologically this is much better than
what I had been doing.  I get in excess of 100 spam messages a day.

-Doug