[Oberon] The underscore nuisance, a little hack.

Vasile Rotaru vrotaru at seznam.cz
Wed Oct 29 22:01:33 CET 2003

John, you wrote:

> ...   There is an easier way to change the
> default font that doesn't require recompiling
> anything.  In Native Oberon system variables are
> kept in the file "Oberon.Text".  Just change the
> line:
>
> "DefaultFont"=	Syntax10.Scn.Fnt

> "DefaultFont"=    Oberon10u.Scn.Fnt

  I guess, for this to work smoothly there must be also modified bold
and italic versions of default Oberon font. And with correct names.
This can be done.

  Besides I was assuming that there is a mapping (from ASCII to typographic signs)

  - (ASCII minus)       ->  m-dash
  _ (ASCII underscore)  ->  n-dash

and that just modifiying the Oberon font will affect the way hyphenation
is done. Well, looks. Now, after a bit of of trying it seems that both
Script.Mod and Hyphen.Mod use - (ASCII minus) for hyphenation. So, does
anyone know which is the use of "Oberon underscore"?

Regards, Vasile.