Fw: [Oberon] Native Oberon on SourceForge

easlab at absamail.co.za easlab at absamail.co.za
Mon Nov 3 12:31:10 CET 2003

> --- Bernhard Treutwein <BdT at wildwein.de> wrote:
> > Although the SF is currently very empty :-), I think
> > this
> > is a very good idea. It allow also "non Oberonians"
> > to take a look at the code ...
>
> John Drake wrote:
> Good point.  And if this was a "non Oberonian" they
> would the source in a format they could browse
> without having to install Oberon.  That reminds me
> of another project I've been "toying with" in my
> head for several years now.  I call it the
> "Oberon convergence project".  Basically
> the idea is to "factor out" code modules that have
> little or no dependence on any particular Oberon
> system and could be used in various "flavors" of
> Oberon.  (V4, Pow, OOC, System 3, ect.)  For example
> the regular expression module RX only imports
> module "Texts" and only does that to dump a DFA to
> the log.  I've imported this module into Oberon V4,
> recompiled it and used it without any problems.

I like this idea.   It helps leaverage non-Sys3 contributions.

Re. factoring out common contributions, I've often read about:
  http://www.math.tau.ac.il/~guy/Oberon/sources.html
which apparently was (is often) unavailable/off-line.

It looks brilliant (well laid out) eg. an extract:------

  V4

     * [13]CAD Tools for Hardware Design
     * Collections of V4 packages-
          + Linz
            Many packages, TextElems, Utilities, Examples etc...
            [14]Index, [15]FTP.
            Some applications, the products of various [16]Research
            projects are available:
               o [17]Dialogs - A GUI package
               o [18]Network - Network and threads support modules.
               o [19]Oberon-D - Adds support for persistance to V4.
               o [20]ODBC support for V4
               o [21]Runtime-Debugger, Profiler, Program Visualization
                 and more...
               o [22]Slicing Tool
          + [23]ETH
  13. http://www.cs.inf.ethz.ch/cs/group/wirth/projects/cad_tools
  14. http://oberon.ssw.uni-linz.ac.at/Public.html
  15. ftp://oberon.ssw.uni-linz.ac.at/pub/Oberon/Sources/Miscellaneous/
  16. http://www.ssw.uni-linz.ac.at/projects.html
  17. http://www.ssw.uni-linz.ac.at/Projects/Dialogs.html
  18. http://www.ssw.uni-linz.ac.at/Projects/Network.html
  19. http://www.ssw.uni-linz.ac.at/Projects/OberonD.html
  20. http://www.ssw.uni-linz.ac.at/Projects/ODBC.html
  21. http://www.ssw.uni-linz.ac.at/projects.html
  22. http://www.ssw.uni-linz.ac.at/Staff/CS/Slicing.html
  23. ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub/Oberon/OberonV4/Tools/

Is sourceforge going to offer anything that ethz can't/won't ?
Is this further fragmentation ?

== Chris Glur.