[Oberon] aos, n-o, XML, V4-folding ? WinAos WebDAV

John Drake jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 17 20:06:28 CET 2003

--- edgar at edgarschwarz.de wrote:
> easlab at absamail.co.za wrote:
> > Q1.  Is XML essential to AOS ?
> I would say yes.

I agree.  The UI for AOS is built on XML.  Yes
there is still an "Oberon compatibility mode"
also.  Unfortunately the UI for AOS hasn't been
finalized yet (at least not that I can tell).
There is work yet to be done.

Beyond that I would say that XML is essential
because it opens up so many other possiblities
like WebDAV and XMLRPC.  Also it would be
possible for someone to write a Jabber client
for Oberon and that would allow someone to use
instant messaging from Oberon and connect to
AIM, Yahoo IM or MSN IM.

> > Q2.  Is  AOS usable yet ?
> >    eg. post and fetch email and news.
> If you want your AOS PPP connection to run for long
> times the answer for you is no.
> Because for my purposes I didn't invest more time
> when AOS PPP was finally
> running.

In other words the AOS PPP module is buggy?

> And now I use DSL.

How do you connect to DSL throw AOS?  Are you using
a USB connection, or a connection from an ethernet
card?

> But I finally found time to package a first WebDAV
> client for WinAos after fixing
> some small problems.
> "http://webdav.ethz.ch/davzip/WinAosDAV.1.3.2.zip"
> (104KB)
> So I will have a look at the NO client problem now.
>
> > Q3. The description of V4's 'folding' facility
> sounds powerfull
> Gadgets also has some folding capability with
> Outline gadgets.
> I sometimes put documentation in the source code
> hidden in outlines.
> But V4 may be more powerful.

The V4 (and BlackBox) folding mechanism is more
powerful than System 3 outlines.  Outlines simply
let you "collapse" text.  Folds actually "toggle"
between two texts.  One way I've seen this used
is a type of "literate programming" scheme where
"folded text" shows long comments and "unfolded
text" shows program code.

Regards,

John M. Drake