[Oberon] Re. installing BB

easlab at absamail.co.za easlab at absamail.co.za
Thu Dec 2 12:40:40 CET 2004

Peter E. wrote:
> Perhaps someone has a tip to solve this simple
> problem before I blunder more.
>
> Using Oberon / PC Native 05.01.2003 I am trying
> to install BB according to the AosInst.Tool here.
>
> http://bluebottle.ethz.ch/downloads/current/AosInst.Tool
>
> In attempting to start the system, the boot
> loader gives this message.
>
> OBERON loading...Invalid Init
>
> Does this indicate that an Oberon boot loader
> is operating?
> Does it indicate only that a configuration
> parameter is faulty?

I'm guessing:
* the bootlaoder for BB is very similar to that of n-o.
    --  are you booting from a fd0 ?
* most parameters of the booter can't be know to be 'Invalid' at that stage,
eg. the mouse and VDU.
* The IDE/root would be know as 'invalid' very early.
* As I remember there's an 'init string' which is a few bytes of
   machine code which is also 'editable' during the <shift to interrupt>
  startup-setting.
* Perhaps it you consider each of the displayed paramenters, shown
   during the <shift to interrupt> at boot, it will be clearer
which ones to suspect.

== Chris Glur.