[Oberon] How software breaks

John Drake jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 20 19:12:12 CET 2004

--- easlab at absamail.co.za wrote:

> n-o dialer & ppp setup assumes that "@" would not be
> a valid
> char of the UserID nor Password strings for ISPs.
>
> So when an ISP allocates a UserID containing char
> "@" [which
> is legitimate per rfc] the system breaks.
>
> A tedious workaround/patch allows one to stumble on.
>
> Then when the telco-line is down and vital email
> needs to be Tx/Rxed,
> and the good-old-faithfull DOSbased n-o laptop
> [because you don't
> want to disturb the factory created virtual, perhaps
> compressed,
> partition] is called to the rescue, we find again
> the illegal "@" char
> disaster.   The labour of the previous patch can't
> be reused, because
> the versions differ substantially.

Hello Chris,

The fix I gave you a couple of years ago doesn't
require you to change any source code and should
work regarless of what version of PPP or native
Oberon you're using.

http://www.edgar-schwarz.de/cgi-bin/moin/BugFixes

> Over years one has accumulated reliable 'google
> strings'. eg. to
> get the replys to all one's NewsGroup posts of the
> previos month.
>
> Then google "updates" and nothing works.
> So you try the dumbed-down standard method: download
> the form
> and fill-it-out.   Which gives
> TRAP 7  Index out of range (PC Native 11.10.2001)
> HTTPDocs.Request  PC = 5056
> 	C =  001653A0H
> 	R =  00000030H
> 	aut =  00000000H
> 	ch = e
> 	cookie =  00000000H
> 	host = "groups.google.com"
> 	i = 256
> 	j = -1
> 	key = 2
> 	label = ""
> 	log = TRUE
> 	method = "GET"
> 	path =

"/groups?as_q=&num=10&as_scoring=d&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&btnG=Googl"
> 	port = 80
> 	proxy = FALSE
> 	query =  001651A0H
> 	str = ""
> HTTPDocs.Connect  PC = 8515
> 	C =  001653A0H
> 	base =  00000000H
> You can't beat the entropy !
>
> Can one ever resist the pressure to conform with
> top-posting
> Micro$loth outsp00k ?
>
> Is this why abdool bombed the twin-towers ?
>
> == Chris Glur.     Be happy, don't worry.

I'm having a hard time following what you're
trying to do here.  Where you using the Google
group search engine, or doing something else?

Regards,

John M. Drake