[Oberon] Re. Blackbox open source available

Dan Parnete dan.parnete at fastwebnet.it
Thu Jan 6 19:29:24 CET 2005

John Drake wrote:

>Here's the reason.  Recently I've been doing a
>lot of work with V4 due to it's ODBC support.

John,

    There is ODBC support even for ETH Oberon. I'm using it with a
Sybase SQL Anywhere database and it works fine.
    Turning back to BlackBox, I don't really like it's old Windows
style. But the application framework (or component builder as they call
it) is very strong. I suppose ETH team will never invest time in that
direction. Looking back to the Gadgets, is evident that author didn't
intend it for data presentation interface. The lack of a combobox or of
any kind of dropdown listbox, or the mess of a grid, or of the TextField
right justify, witch make numbers difficult to read in column fashion,
are clear signs.
    I like BlueBottle look&feel. I like BlueBottle at all. Great ideas,
great job, compliments to all of them. But I can't use it. I'm not a
system developer, unfortunately, and writing software is not just a
hobby for me, unfortunately. So if we want a RAD, or Component Builder,
or Application Framework, or whatever you want to call it, we have to
build it out of the ETH team. An we must hope BlueBottle will be ported
on Linux, Mac and most of all ARM/Xscale.
    Oberon community is not a normal open source one. There are no
parallel open projects, just private contributors. It gravitates around
ETH team, waiting at the window. Probably the most important step in
growing the spirit of this community is to purpose and open such a
project. And if the target will be an application framework plus a
database, I'll be on the list.

Dan Parnete