Re (2): [Oberon] Aos:Main Menu:System:Tutorial

Jack Johnson knapjack at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 20:31:35 CET 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:48:01 -0800, shark at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca
<shark at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca> wrote:
> > I wonder if [issue with the Tutorial.Text menu is]
> > some glitch in the file name (trailing space, UTF
> > character, etc.)
>
> Good idea.

Turns out it's the command.  The command in the menu item uses
Notepad.OpenOberon but the text is actually in BBT format.  I should
have looked up the correct command, but I just changed it to
Notepad.OpenAuto and everything is fine.

> > I did notice that I edited the Autostart.XML (?) document to kill the
> > Christmas theme & animations and that didn't seem to work.
>
> It worked here as I recall.
>
> You saved ASCII?

Yep.  This turned out to be a mistake on my part.  Something strange
about editing the autostart section of AosConfig.XML where I set the
default skin (maybe those extra spaces in the skin name are
necessary?) caused it to be read as corrupt, and the default fallback
behavior is to read Save.AosConfig.XML which was identical to the
default AosConfig.XML.

All is fine now, so I can bypass Santa and friends in the off-season.
:)  Mainly, I can autostart the VNC service so I can experiment from
the living room -- one of those features I suspect was implemented by
some other married man.

As an aside, I see two students using the Oxford Oberon2 compiler have
started hanging out on irc.freenode.net in #oberon, so I've started
(ma)lingering there as well.  Maybe this will give me the impetus to
implement an IRC client for Bluebottle.

-Jack