AW: Re (3): AW: [Oberon] Mounting USB memory on USBOhci.

Stauber, Sven Philipp staubesv at student.ethz.ch
Fri Jul 22 09:17:07 CEST 2005

Hi!

> Configured Aos.Par again to try to mount the USB with Boot2.  Still the USB memory is not mounted.
Have you tried to execute the mount command later in the boot process? A good place would be to add it in the Autostart section of AosConfig.XML.

<!-- Autostart -->
    <Section name="Autostart">
        <Setting name="Start the main menu" value="StartMenu.Open" />
        <Setting name="Restore the desktop" value="WMRestorable.Load Auto.dsk"/>
        <Setting name="Mount partition on USB drive" value="AosFSTools.Mount USB AosFS USB0#02" />
</Section>

I did not try this, but it really should work, since implemented this way, the mount command will be executed much later in the boot process (at a time the USB0 device really should be available).

> Sven mentioned that completion of the Ohci Init before the attempted mount is a question of chance.
No, the OHCI host controller initialization will always complete before the USB driver is started (AosUsb.Init), but the later will work concurrently to the boot process.

> Is there no way to suppress concurrency during boot up? Seems concurrency causes more trouble than it is worth at the
> early stage.
A way would be to force the USB driver initialization to wait until bus enumeration is finished. This would not generally solve the "Mount USB drive partitions during boot process" problem, though. For example, if two or more USB drives were connected and you wanted to mount partitions on them while booting, there would be other issues: The USB bus enumeration traverses the USB port in a defined order. If you would attach the device to different ports, the device names (USBXX) could change which causes the mount command to fail (if the numbers of the partitions to be mounted are different).

>... I believe that the two fixes in AosUsbOhci and AosUsbStorage from 19th of July relate to the problem you are discussing.
>AosOhci: Initialised USB Open Host Controller at base 0E5000000H, Irq: 10
>AosUsb: Driver UsbHub (integrated USB hub driver) has been added.
>AosUsb: USB driver loaded.
>AosUsb: Driver UsbStorage (Usb Storage Device Driver) has been added.
>AosDiskVolumes: USB0 not found
>AosDiskVolumes.New failed
At the time the mount command was executed, there was no USB0 disk device because the USB driver had not yet found the USB storage device and assigned a driver to it which again will create the USB0 disk device object later. In this particular case, the fixes could no be related to the issue since the code which was fixed was not yet executed.
BTW: Thanks for the fixes. The next time the USB files find their way into the release, your fixes will be included.

>On the other hand I could observe that sometimes while copying many
>files - about 100 MB - the copying stopped without any message.
There are still issues concering the USB system. I will continue to work on it.

Cheers,
Sven

________________________________

> ... two fixes in AosUsbOhci and AosUsbStorage from 19th of July ...

Just compiled your two fixes of July 19 again, to
be sure they were not missed.  Configured Aos.Par
again to try to mount the USB with Boot2.  Still
the USB memory is not mounted.

Sven mentioned that completion of the Ohci Init
before the attempted mount is a question of chance.
Since I have different, probably older and slower,
hardware from you, failure of the mount here seems
possible.  A simple solution is to mount the USB
in AOS:Oberon.Text; it works.

Naive question for the day: Is there no way to
suppress concurrency during boot up?  Seems
concurrency causes more trouble than it is worth
at the early stage.

Regards,          ... Peter

Desktops.OpenDoc  http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/