[Oberon] Re: Occasional data transfer between boxes ?

easlab at absamail.co.za easlab at absamail.co.za
Fri Aug 12 04:06:20 CEST 2005

...snip ...

Peter E. wrote:
> All your desktop machines at one site should be
> on an Ethernet LAN.  You can buy a 10 Mb/s hub or
> router for a few dollars.

Well, by a main principle of 'top down design':
 refer periodically to the 'written policy/aim';
analagously this thread is titled:
 ' Occasional data transfer between boxes ?'.

There is place in human effort to transport half
a bucket of water, where it would be absurdly
inappropriate to build a pipline.

...snip ...

> PPP over the null modem will be similar to TCP/IP
> over ethernet but not quite so fast.
>
> cg> Isn't it better to fix/tune the existing ?
>
> Nothing to fix.  We are talking about configuring
> and using extant capabilities.

When I write 'fix/tune', I mean trivial tasks
[which are unexciting - so nobody will bother to
do them], like writing a ten line V24.Tool .

Fortunately n-o has good enough search facilities
that I could recover the notes of 'this same topic discussed
thousands of hours ago':

] edit to: 2 38400 8 1 none = Can not open port, error = 1
] first use:  CRGV24Debug.CloseCOM2
] 2 19200 8 1 none <-- OK now.
]
] CRGV24Debug.Mod  = has BIG story.
]PROCEDURE CloseCOM2*;
]  BEGIN Out.String('Close COM2');
]    V24.Stop(1)
]  END CloseCOM2;
](* after CloseCOM2, V24.Panel can open and close port(s), repeatedly. *)
---------------------
With this done the desktop-box & the notebook both running
n-o [I don't want to have to take my main work-horse off n-o]
and connected via null-modem cable, both sides echo each other's
keyboards, or pasted text.  And both can access FAT files too.

In summary, what needs to be fixed/tuned IMO is:
the ability to 'remove the lock' on the 2nd ser-port
which was left by the previous 'modem drive'.
In my case a one-statement routine sufficed, but
it's use needed to be documented in the unexisting Tool.
BTW I suspect this my be related to the dialer/ppp problem.
And then, I believe V24.Panel already has facilities to
transfer files between machines - not just text strings.

The important fact is that the value/knowledge of the little
investigation jobs must be CAPTURED for later user's benefit,
by a working/managed system.

I'm guessing [confidently] that n-o's successors
aos?blu-bottle can't improve on n-o's "Occasional
data transfer between boxes" ?

That's why I'm still using n-o ;-).

Thanks.

== Chris Glur.

PS.  If anybody has still/again got the info of
how to transfer files via V24.Panel , I'll put it in
my V24.Tool  -- we discussed all this previously.
And it's a myth that with a *.Panel a corresponding
*.Tool is not needed.