[Oberon] Re. ATAPI Zip drive;

easlab at absamail.co.za easlab at absamail.co.za
Thu Sep 15 12:09:15 CEST 2005

Peter E. wrote:-
> Since that discussion, an ATAPI 100 MB Zip disk
> has served as a portable workspace with zero errors.

Yes Iomega-Zip 100 MB is amazingly reliable, for a
unprotected 'floppy'.

> It elliminates the need to move files over the net
> and reconcile various copies.  Saves me at least a
> few hours each week.  Having all working files
> immediately available is a great benefit.
>
> The only problem evident is the minor one of needing
> two Mount commands in Oberon.Text.  Seems to be a
> minor idiosyncrasy of the Zip drive with no serious
> consequence.

Are you saying that NO [not Aos] can read/write Zip ?
IMO only the 'parallel port' version is relevant for
moving data between boxes.

> The SCSI Zip drive tested earlier works well in a
> Macintosh.  Therefore the problem must have been with
> Adaptec card or more likely with the Adaptec7 driver.
>
> As far as I know, Adaptec7 is still considered viable.
> I do not understand the driver well enough to trouble
> -shoot but can cooperate with anyone interested.

Apparently since the beginning of floppies, it was common
to do multiple [try again] reads.  This can be a software
solution for systems with poor hardware reliability.
A system which doesn't 'crash' when the fd0 detects an
error is what is needed.  This is easily acheived, and
probably of more value than investigating Adaptec7.
But I find the NO 'funny assembler' off-putting.

Re. "Occasional data transfer between boxes",
since most hardware has still got a RS232 port[s], if
the boxes are near to each other NO V24.Panel will
communicate with DOS, Linux ...etc via a null modem.

But a problem of "can't open the port" usually arises.
This can be 'superficialy hacked-around' by:
    V24.Stop(1) .

Interestingly the same hack [action which is not well
understood by the implimentor] clears the 'lock' which
I've been complaining about, which happens when
the dialer/ppp has an abort.

It now seems that the subtle problem [solved by all M$
users by re-booting] which I've been chasing for ages, is in
 the V24 module[s] and not the ppp-suite ?
Or it's the task-swithching between them ?
So, IMO Iomega Zip was a star at the time, since
all boxes had a centronics port.  But now flash-memory
is more appropriate to occasionally transport data.
Except that USB seems to still not have stabilised ?

I don't think any body wants to invest time with Adaptec7.

== Chris Glur.