AW: AW: [Oberon] Networking problems

Stauber Sven Philipp staubesv at student.ethz.ch
Wed Oct 12 11:11:34 CEST 2005

Hello Rene,

>In BB the values are:
Bus 2,
device 10,
function 0:
class/rev 02000010,
vendor/device 10EC8139,
status/cmd 02900004
Class: Network controller, Sub-class: Ethernet controller
Vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.,
Device: RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
IRQ255,
INTA
256B I/O at 0000D400 - 0000D4FF
256B 32-bit memory at EC000000 - EC0000FF

Most of these values seem to be okay, but the status/cmd register indicates that the network adapter is not operating
at all:
0004 ist the value of the PCI command register. It says that the device does neither respond to I/O space accesses nor memory space accesses (It should allow both (value 0007) - at least my RTL8139 does). This would explain why the attempts to read information as chipset revision and MAC address failed.
The PCI status register value (0290) indicates no errors, though.

An interesting question would be: Is the configuration data wrong due to the loading of the RTL8139 driver, or has it been wrong even before?

>Could it be that under windows automatically a free address space is
>found, while in BB the card's own default is used?
>If so: How can I change that in BB (I'd rather not want to set the
>default jumpers differently)
PCI supports memory relocation and as well as  IRQ routing, therefore the OS can re-allocate different ressources to PCI devices, that's okay. The BIOS does allocate ressources at boot up (to be able to boot), windows will possibly re-allocate it when it starts.
The values the network adapter reports are quite similar to the ones my RTL8139 reports - should be okay.

>Any ideas how to fix that?
I don't know much about the PCI system of Bluebottle (Aos.PCI.Mod) and how it configures PCI devices.
I suggest trying some options of the BIOS setup to get a working configuration.
Look for a setting called "Plug-n-Play OS" or similiar. If this is turned on, the BIOS will not allocate ressources for all PCI devices but just for the ones needed to be able to boot (so try to turn it off).
Another interesting option is "Reset Configuration Data" (or similar). This is typically found in the section "PnP/PCI Configurations". If you enabled it, the configuration data will be resetted when you exit the BIOS setup.
You can do both settings in one step. The status/cmd value (from PCITools.Scan) should be 02900007 if the attempts were successful.

Another thing: The following entries of your Aos.Par seem to be the wrong way around:

# 3Com 3C509 EtherLink III 10Mbps ethernet driver
Boot4="Aos3Com509.Install"
# RTL 8139 10/100Mbps ethernet driver
#Boot4="AosRTL8139.Install"

Don't you want the bottom one here?