AW: [Oberon] Re. WinAos networking: patch available

Stauber Sven Philipp staubesv at student.ethz.ch
Sat Nov 19 16:17:24 CET 2005

Hi,

>2. What's wrong with USB - also for Win & linux ?
>Why is there still much debugging and discussion, on various
>forums although it's several years old already ?
That's because of the "U" in USB. The philosophy behind USB is to provide a single solution which is able to handle almost any kind of devices (low-/high-cost, low-/high-speed, simple/complex,...) on a wide variety of platforms (for example, USB provides quite sophisticated power management facilities to be also an appropriate solution for the use with battery-driven hosts). The same time, it should be easy-to-use "plug'n'play". This makes the system more complex than device-specific solutions are. The core system (UHCI, OHCI & EHCI host controller, USB bus driver) is specified in almost 1000 pages (and there are MANY more specifications when also considering the generic class drivers (see www.usb.org)).
I haven't seen another bus system which is used by a such great variety/quantity of devices.

Regards,
Sven