[Oberon] Re. BB, LNO + Linux

easlab at absamail.co.za easlab at absamail.co.za
Tue Nov 22 15:56:24 CET 2005

Edgar wrote:-
> Today I tested a 3 OS / 2 machine configuration.
> 1. Linux Suse 10.0
> 2. LNO in a console
> 3. Bluebottle on another machine connected by VNC.
> Should be nice to create a LinAos.
> More on "http://www.edgar-schwarz.de/cgi-bin/moin/LinAos"

/cgi-bin/moin/LinAos wrote:-
] Be  careful  that you start it from a Linux console (E.g.
]   Ctrl-Alt-F1).

I don't understand:
- apparently linux can be set-up to boot into X-windows, but
    it normally get's there by 'startx' from a V(irtual) T(erminal).
-  when X is running, Ctrl-Alt-F1 will switch the display to show VT1.
- the VTs display a  80 * 25 character format, and NOT a graphical
   display like NO.

Is it possible to get a graphical display like NO in a VT ?
What version/date of LNO are you using ?
I always used LNO to access my V2.3.6-DOSbased NO, from
  X-windows.

] It uses the framebuffer, so /dev/fbdev should be there.

I've only got /dev/fb0 ...30
  what are these ?
How/where do I get /dev/fbdev ?
Does that give you the graphical capability instead of using X-windows ?
If so, why not just use normal X-windows ?

]  If   you   must   create  a  new  file  to  install  NO  in  use  e.g.
] "Linux. MakeDisk  oberon.dsk  64  ~ Linux. OpenDisk oberon.dsk ~
]  Partitions.Format  oberon.dsk#0  AosFS  0~  ".

I would like to have had LNO recently when fixing my hda26 partition
table, instead of having to boot back and forth from linux to NO.

== Chris Glur.