[Oberon] Re. BB, LNO + Linux

edgar at edgarschwarz.de edgar at edgarschwarz.de
Tue Nov 22 23:44:29 CET 2005

easlab at absamail.co.za wrote:
> - apparently linux can be set-up to boot into X-windows, but
>     it normally get's there by 'startx' from a V(irtual) T(erminal).
The "modern" distributions I install nowadays all boot to KDE or Gnome by default.
> -  when X is running, Ctrl-Alt-F1 will switch the display to show VT1.
> - the VTs display a  80 * 25 character format, and NOT a graphical
>    display like NO.
> Is it possible to get a graphical display like NO in a VT ?
LNO just takes the VT display and uses it for NO.

> ] It uses the framebuffer, so /dev/fbdev should be there.
> I've only got /dev/fb0 ...30
>   what are these ?
> How/where do I get /dev/fbdev ?
Qick fix: "cd /dev; ln -s fb0 fbdev" should do the trick.

> Does that give you the graphical capability instead of using X-windows ?
> If so, why not just use normal X-windows ?
Why use another SW layer like X when LNO can just use the framebuffer directly
instead of using X which then writes to the framebuffer ?

Cheers, Edgar