[Oberon] Re. BB, LNO + Linux

jan verhoeven jan at verhoeven272.nl
Fri Nov 25 18:30:45 CET 2005

Op Friday 25 November 2005 09:42 schreef easlab at absamail.co.za:

 > Jan Verhoeven wrote:
 > >  > Is it possible to get a graphical display like NO in a VT ?
 > >
 > > Yes, if you use SVGAlib.
 >
 > How would I do a minimal test/confirmation ?

On my website http://fruttenboel.verhoeven272.nl navigate to Languages ->
Mocka -> SVGAlib. I ported SVGAlib to Modula-2. I show how to use the
library and the nice side effects it offers.

 > >  > Does that give you the graphical capability instead of using
 > >  > X-windows ?
 > >
 > > No. The framebuffer is just another way to access the videomemory
 > > on the VGA card.
 >
 > Which I guess does "give you the graphical capability instead of using
 > X-windows" ?

X can use the framebuffer approach as well. Many video drivers do use the
fb.

 > In wondering why suddenly 'non-X' graphics is fashionable, when
 > normally there is the regrettable trend to greater bloat.

SVGAlib is not new. LNO could easily use the hardware directly to get
itself running. The only advantages of SVGAlib and X-windows is the uniform
command structure for pixel control. If you make your own system, you will
have to cater with the plethora of video card, modes and exceptions.

 > Is there anybody else who still uses the older version of LNO
 > which ran from X-windows, and what was the latest
 > date/version which did so?

I do. As can be seen on my site (navigate Languages -> Oberon) I have a
screenshot of the LNO I prefer. I also tried the version from Wien, but I
prefer ETHZ LNO.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten

Jan Verhoeven