[Oberon] Just Starting With Oberon2

Rory Starkweather starkweatherr at mchsi.com
Fri Mar 24 01:05:44 CET 2006

 I've been looking at Oberon for a couple of months but didn't find a
version that fit my needs until I found the Oxford version. To tell you
the truth, I wasn't able to figure out how to do anything useful with
the ETH Windows plugin version, and POW didn't run on my system for some
reason.

 There are a couple of questions I would like to ask. (Nothing about
programming yet because I'm still on page 10 of the manual.)

1. Is Oberon still being actively developed?
2. How widespread is Oberon use in Europe? I haven't found any Americans
who have heard of it yet.
3. Most of the programming I do involves a Visual Basic GUI with DLLs
written in either C or D doing the actual work when I need power or
speed. As I understand it, the 'virtual machine' interface between
compiled Oberon code and the CPU is relatively slow. I don't really care
about that, but I'm wondering if there is ever going to be a version of
the compiler that produces machine code? Or does Native mode make that
unneccessary?
4. Considering item 3, has anyone done any work on a DLLcapability for
Oberon that works above the assembly language level?